Parkside's Smart Schools Investment Plan
What is the Smart Schools Investment Plan?
The Parkside School’s Smart Schools Investment Plan was produced in accordance with the New York State Smart Schools Bond Act (SSBA) of 2014. In conjunction with the bond, the act authorized the issuance of a one-time bond to finance education technology capital projects to improve learning and opportunity for students with disabilities in Special Act School Districts, State-Supported Schools and approved private special education day and residential schools throughout the State.
Parkside’s allocation from the SSBA is $23,292. In order to receive this allocation, Parkside is required to make strategic decisions regarding technology upgrades. To be eligible for the funding, we are required to:
- Draft a Smart Schools Investment Plan to demonstrate how Smart Schools funding will be used to provide the educational tools and opportunities students with disabilities throughout New York State will need to succeed in the 21st century economy;
- Involve the Parkside community in its planning; and
- Have the Smart Schools Investment Plan approved by the New York State Education Department as part of a detailed review process.
How does Parkside plan to use the funding?
Parkside’s proposed Smart Schools Investment Plan concentrates on enhancing our High-Tech Security:
- Installation of an Access Control System, that will include securing the main entrance of the building with a 1200lb magnetic door lock and electronic card reader system and access control panel that will allow for more secure building access and will interface with our existing fire alarm system.
- Installation of an Expanded CCTV Security Camera System that will include an upgraded 32 channel network video recorder and eight (8) high resolution IP based security cameras.
These improvements to Parkside’s security systems will have a direct impact on our ability to keep students safe, and ensure that we are adequately addressing the security challenges faced by urban schools in the 21st century. These improvements are budgeted at a cost of $19,800.
The remaining $3,492 allocated by SSBA will be requested to purchase additional desktop and/or laptop computers for classroom use, ensuring that teachers and therapists are able to enhance their instruction techniques, communicate more efficiently with parents, and strengthen learning opportunities for students.
We welcome your comments.
The public has 30 days from the date of this posting to submit comments and/or questions to Parkside regarding this investment plan. Please direct all comments and questions to:
Anthony D. Kapp
Director of Development
The Board of Directors will conduct a hearing on Wednesday, August 16 at 6:30pm at the Parkside School. Notes from that hearing related to the Smart Schools Investment Plan will be posted on this webpage, along with the final copy of Parkside’s plan which will be submitted to the New York State Education Department for approval during the 2017-2018 academic year.